Building a Mash Tun
A few weeks ago (and I think I posted something quick about it here), I bought a 12 gallon cooler to be used as a mash tun. Over the past week and weekend, I started getting it together.
Ball valve with washer and … fitting.
This is sort of the way things went together. I did add some exterior caulk between the internal washer and the cooler to provide a water-tight fit (and I tried several times to not use the caulk, but there seemed to be no way to do that without ending up with a leak).
All fit and no leaks (after the fourth or fifth try).
Starting on the copper for the drain lines. This is clamped down (gently!) on one end and I drew lines on my workbench at 1/2″ intervals to speed the process of sawing the slots.
Sawing the lines.
Interior of the lines before cleaning. I found that a 1/2″ drill bit fit through the 1/2″ copper, so I ran it through a few times to remove the burrs.
The lines all in place prior to washing with vinegar and then soap and water.
The IPA is probably ready to be bottled, but I spent all my time doing yard work, building my mash tun, and fixing a Christmas tree stand that nearly sent a tree tumbling last year (She Who Must Be Obeyed was NOT happy about that!).
The color is lighter, probably because I added the DME near the end, but I was still looking for lighter. I’ll also want to get it clearer.