Made Dark Candi Syrup
I’ve been thinking about my next homebrew being a Belgian Strong Dark Beer. In the research process, I found two Chop & Brew Episodes, and both use dark candi syrup. Since I’m tight (a little) and since it’s basically sugar, I decided to make my own.
Off to the interwebs, I found a post by Mad Fermentationist that mentioned a Ryan Brews post in the comments. Looking at the Ryan Brews page, I used pickling lime and DAP (yeast nutrient, I used LD Carlson, which I had on hand).
I only scaled the recipe up, so I used:
1 pound sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp pickling lime
1 tsp yeast nutrient
I brought it to a boil and held it to around 280º – 300ºF for 40 minutes. After that, I removed it from the heat, let it cool for a few, and added 1/3 cup of water and stirred it in to make it a syrup.
The two things I will do differently next time:
- Dissolve the lime and dap in the water before adding it to the sugar. I had a lot of large flakes that I think (operative word!) are from the lime.
- Use a better thermometer setup. My grill thermometer was reading 280º for a while including in boiling water, so I hope the thermocouple isn’t ruined. I’m letting it dry and will test it later. Edit a few days later: the thermocouple is saying 129º while sitting next to the food thermocouple reading 73º. I’ve ordered a replacement!
Cleanup of this stuff isn’t too difficult, the best way is to boil everything, even if you don’t make it to a boil, very hot water can dissolve the sugar/caramel.