Tag Archive: sour beer
The recipe is fairly simple, I’ve posted it before but I’ve made a few changes.
|Batch Size||Boil Time||IBU||SRM||Est. OG||Est. FG||ABV|
|5.5 gal||60 min||12.7 IBUs||13.5 SRM||1.053||1.012||5.4 %|
|Name||Cat.||OG Range||FG Range||IBU||SRM||Carb||ABV|
|Flanders Red Ale||23 B||1.048 - 1.057||1.002 - 1.012||10 - 25||10 - 16||2 - 2.7||4.6 - 6.5 %|
|Pilsner (2 Row) Bel||8 lbs||71.11|
|Wheat - Red Malt (Briess)||1.5 lbs||13.33|
|Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L||8 oz||4.44|
|Oats, Flaked||8 oz||4.44|
|Vienna Malt (Briess)||8 oz||4.44|
|Carafa II||4 oz||2.22|
|Tettnang, U.S.||1 oz||60 min||Boil||Leaf||4.5|
|Lactic Acid||1.00 ml||60 min||Mash||Water Agent|
|Irish Moss||1.00 tsp||15 min||Boil||Fining|
|Roselare Belgian Blend (3763)||Wyeast Labs||80%||55°F - 80°F|
|Mash In||156°F||90 min|
|Download this recipe's BeerXML file|
Note: in the above, ignore the aging part, this is going to take a while… Also, my hops may not be very strong. I’m using year+ old homegrown hops, and in the past I think their strength has been low.
Brew day went generally without a hitch.
I mashed in with 3.5 gal of water at 174F, which settled to 156F. I let it rest, stirring occasionally, for 80 minutes when I added about a gallon of water at 190F. After 10 minutes, I vorlaufed and collected 3.5 (ish) gallons of wort, and batch sparged with around 3.25 gallons of water at 190F, which rested at 165F (about 5F below the target 170F). After all that, the pre-boil gravity was 1.057.
Boil was the standard one hour boil. 15 minutes prior to the end of the boil, I started the pump through the plate chiller, discarding the first little bit that pushed through and then recirculating through the boil kettle, creating a whirlpool. At the end of the hour, I set the PID to a low temperature (50-ish F) and turned the cold water on to the plate chiller. Chilling to about 70F took under 15 minutes.
It’s fermenting away now…
Somehow, I’m going to get some oak in this. I don’t know how I’m going to do it, so maybe this will help…
12/28/2016: Brewed, SG 1.051. Forgot to get pH reading.
1/5/2017: 1.008, pH 4.15. No acidity. Very bready.
1/14/2017: 1.008, pH 4.23. Light acidity. Still bready, but acid beginning to counter malt sweetness.
1/29/2017: 1.008, pH 4.34. More acid. pH meter is clearly fucked. It needs more time, but bready-ness is generally gone.
2/26/17: pH = 4.26. Oakey.
3/12/17: pH = 4.12. Oakey still.
5/1/17: pH = 4.15. Still a little oakey, but better. Starting to become pleasing.
6/10/17: pH = 4.08. Pronounced oakiness, but a slightly fruity aroma and flavor.
(this will be updated as things change)